1 pkg active dry yeast (equals 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 c warm water
1/3 c white, granulated sugar
`1/4 c butter, softened
1 tsp salt
1 c hot milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 1/2 c sifted all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter, melted (for brushing rolls)
1. Sprinkle yeast over very warm water in large bowl. Stir until yeast dissolves. Leave to foam about 10 minutes.
2. Add sugar, the 1/4 cup butter and salt to hot milk and stir until sugar dissolves and butter is melted. Cool mixture to 105 to 115 degrees.
3. Add milk mixture to yeast and then mix in egg. Beat in 4 cups of the flour, 1 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. Use some of remaining 1/2 cup flour to dust a pastry cloth.
4. Knead the dough lightly for 5 minutes. Use remaining flour for flouring pastry cloth and your hands.
5. Place dough in a warm, buttered bowl; turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.